Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Just Be

So I know I should keep my feet right here underneath my shoulders and smile but I have to tell someone about my future plans.  
Saturday night 
I will board a Greyhound bus to Rockford, IL.  
People keep telling me it sounds like an unusual place to go.  
Really, my final destination will be the Illinois Vipassana Center, dhamma pakasa.  
I will serve for them until Jan 24th.  Throughout this time I will be unable to update this blog.  I will also be serving my little sister Loretta as she sits her first 10 day silent meditation course.   How exciting!  
After this I will be sitting and serving at other centers for the following 2 months.  
Here is a website with a list of meditation centers around the world
www.dhamma.org


April and May 
I hope to be a ridge runner on the Appalachian Trail.  
I will hike a specific section of the AT and encourage hikers and visitors to make safe responsible decisions.  
I will assist in emergency situations and report unsafe conditions. 
I will also maintain a daily log and maintain communication with field supervisors and agency partners
Here is the website if you are interested in volunteering
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4850645/k.FA36/Volunteer.htm


June and July 
I will hopefully be leading backpacking trips in the Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
I will provide in-depth experiences through education programs that celebrate ecological and cultural diversity
I will develop and implement curriculum that includes backcountry living skills, Leave No Trace principles, leadership training, service-learning, natural and cultural history of the area
Dates of Employment: June 6-10 (precamp), June 13-18, June 27-July 2, and July 18-28, 2011


End of July-Oct?
As soon as I am finished with camp I will fly to Northern India 
I will begin yoga teacher training.
In the World Capital of Yoga - Rishikesh 
The course runs over 6 weeks. Aug 1-Sept 10th
One of the most comprehensive courses of teacher training
I will learn 

asanas,
breathing, 
meditation,
cleansing, 
anatomy & physiology, 
yoga philosophy, 
and teaching modules,
More information can be found here
http://www.healthandyoga.com/certification/India/Rishikesh/75/default.aspx


Rishikesh

 At the foothills of the Himalayas along the banks of the sacred river Ganges, lies the town of Rishikesh. The first town this holy river reaches on its decent from the mountains, Rishikesh is home to many ashrams, and most major Indian ashram, including Vivekenanda, Sivananda, Osho, Bihar school of yoga, have an office there. It is a good place to experience classical Indian yoga. Class instruction may leave a few gaps for students used to the precision of western classes, but with its slow and spiritual atmosphere, it's an enjoyable place to begin discovering what India has to offer. Rishikesh is less intense than other parts of India, probably because people have religion on their minds.  Most people are very friendly and quick to say hello or namaste. 
 As a pilgrimage point, Rishikesh greets many devout Hindus and wandering sadhus (holy men). Many come to bathe in the sanctified waters of the Ganges, as Hindus believe this can remove layers of karma. This peaceful ashram centre is certainly one of the more atmospheric places in India. As the sun rises from behind the mountains, and cuts through the fog, locals wash in the river. Live temple chanting sets the tone. Beginning around 4 am, the chants float across the water until well after dark. During night time pujas (ceremonies), offerings of hundreds of camphor flame leaf boats float picturesquely on the river. 


So this is all within the realm of possibility.
Why not.
My mom believes in me and said I can do it all.
I think so too.

"Suddenly I See"

Her face is a map of the world
Is a map of the world
You can see she's a beautiful girl
She's a beautiful girl
And everything around her is a silver pool of light
The people who surround her feel the benefit of it
It makes you calm
She holds you captivated in her palm

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

I feel like walking the world
Like walking the world
You can hear she's a beautiful girl
She's a beautiful girl
She fills up every corner like she's born in black and white
Makes you feel warmer when you're trying to remember
What you heard
She likes to leave you hanging on her word

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

And she's taller than most
And she's looking at me
I can see her eyes looking from a page in a magazine
Oh she makes me feel like I could be a tower
A big strong tower
She got the power to be
The power to give
The power to see

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me 

1 comment:

gemay said...

Sar - One of my favorite songs! Hope you do all you have planned in 2011 - inspiring! All the best!